- In the 1981 film Pennies from Heaven, Bernadette Peters lip-syncs to Helen Kane ("The Original Boop-Boop-a-Doop Girl's") song "I Wanna Be Bad".
- The voice Peters used when she played Betty Boop live is the same voice she used for Lily St. Regis, Rooster's girlfriend in the 1982 film Annie.
- In a People magazine article from 1982, Bernadette Peters voice was compared to Betty Boop.
- In a 1982 newspaper interview with the Philadelphia Daily News, Bernadette Peters said she enjoyed being compared to Betty Boop and Ruby Keeler and considered herself a modern woman.
- Bernadette was also considered for a Betty Boop role in the late 1980s, but according to a 1987 newspaper article the Fleischer Studios decided to go with Cyndi Lauper, neither artist was used in any animated Betty Boop franchise.
- Bernadette Peters was to have voiced Betty in Betty Boop (MGM/Zanuck Co.) but, two weeks before voice recording was to begin with Bernadette Peters as Betty, the head of MGM, Alan Ladd, Jr., was replaced by Frank Mancuso, and the project was abandoned. But according to Mary Kay Bergman, she had been offered the role.