May 25, 1877
August 17, 1954 (aged 77)
Billy Murray (May 25, 1877 - August 17, 1954) was a popular singer in the early 1900s. By the late 1920s and early 1930s, the music from his early days was considered nostalgic (the modern term would be "oldies") and Murray was in demand again. He did voices for animated cartoons, especially the popular "follow the bouncing ball" sing-along cartoons and was one of several voices the character Bimbo. Murray portrayed Bimbo from 1930 to 1931. His last role as Bimbo was in The Herring Murder Case, Claude Reese later took over the full-time voice role of Bimbo.
Characters voiced by Billy Murray
- He died of a heart attack in 1954 at the age of 77.
- Billy Murray discovered Margie Hines as he had found in her voice exactly what the Fleischers had been seeking for Betty Boop.
- Dizzy Dishes
- Barnacle Bill
- Mysterious Mose
- The Bum Bandit
- Accordion Joe
- My Wife's Gone to the Country
- Step On It
- Silly Scandals
- The Herring Murder Case
- The Official Website of Billy Murray: The Legendary Denver Nightingale
- The Billy Murray Pages: Articles, Photographs and Discographies
- Biography with sound samples
- Billy Murray recording of "The Grand Old Rag" (later retitled "The Grand Old Flag")
- Billy Murray recording of "He'd Have to Get Out and Get Under to Fix up His Automobile"
- Billy Murray cylinder recordings, from the Cylinder Preservation and Digitization Project at the University of California, Santa Barbara Library.
- Discography of Billy Murray on Victor Records from the Encyclopedic Discography of Victor Recordings (EDVR)
- List of best-selling recordings with chart entries
- Billy Murray, Anthology: The Denver Nightingale (Archeophone Records 5501)
- Works by Billy Murray at Project Gutenberg (recordings)
- Billy Murray at the Internet Movie Database
- Billy Murray (singer) at Find a Grave