"Don't Take My Boop-Oop-A-Doop Away" is a song that was written by Sammy Timberg and released by Fleischer Studios Inc as a Betty Boop Cartoon On A Record released by Victor Records. It was first recorded for the Screen Song Musical Justice, where it was performed live by Mae Questel. It was then used in the Betty Boop Talkartoon Boop-Oop-a-Doop, where it was performed by Margie Hines. The song was Betty Boop's original signature song.
The song was featured in the Talkartoon Boop-Oop-a-Doop. After performing "Do Something" on the high wire, Betty returns to her tent, where she is harassed by her boss. Betty begs him to cease his advances and goes into song. After finishing her song and being saved by Koko, she tells Koko that the ringmaster "couldn't take [her] Boop-Oop-a-Doop away!".
Mae Questel's first recording for Victor was "Don't Take My Boop-Oop-a-Doop Away".
"Don't Take Our Boop-Oop-a-Doop Away!"
Mae Questel, Kate Wright, Little Ann Little, Bonnie Poe & Margie Hines perform "Don't take our Boop-Oop-a-Doop Away" in the Fleischer Victory Newsreel, along with Max Fleischer, after winning against Helen Kane's $250,000 lawsuit.
- When performed by Mae Questel for her Victor recording, she uses Boop-Oop-"e"-Doop or "Be" instead of Boop-Oop-"a"-Doop.
- "Don't Take My Boop-Oop-a-Doop Away" is originally supposed to be Betty Boop's official signature song, but for unknown reasons Betty's official phrase/signature song was changed to "I Wanna Be Loved By You" and has been the latter since the 1980s. "I Wanna Be Loved By You" was the original Boop-Boop-a-Doop girl (Helen Kane's) signature song, which is best known as performed by Marilyn Monroe, who played blonde bombshell Sugar Kane in the film Some Like It Hot.
- The song can be heard as an instrumental in One More Chance and Betty Boop's Trial.
- The victory reel version of "Don't Take Our Boop-Oop-a-Doop Away" was directed towards Helen Kane, who had ignored the voices of Betty Boop when they appeared in court and wanted Betty's cartoons to be stopped by injunction. Mae Questel took the lead, and the various other voices of Betty Boop backed her up.
- Was performed by Shannon Cullem for the 2004 release Boop-Oop-a-Doin, and was again performed several years later by Sarah Stiles, for Fleischerei.
- Has also been performed live by Ginger Pauley and the Hoosier Daddys.
- The Japanese released is titled (私の大切なものを取らないで頂戴) JA-43-A.