This article is about the 1930 animated cartoon Mysterious Mose. See Mysterious Mose for the song.
Mysterious Mose (1930)
Betty Boop is startled awake in her bed on a stormy night. She searches for the cause of the shock while she sings "Mysterious Mose". Then, unexplainable phenomena start happening in the house. Mysterious Mose (Bimbo) appears, and sings part of the song. Bizarre cartoon creatures appear and, at first, sing and enhance Mose's "mysterious" image. Quickly, however, the antics become frightful even to Mose. The film escalates into chaos, which ends when Mose bursts, revealing him having been a construction (full of cogs and springs) the whole time.
- Betty Boop: "There's a man of mystery that's roaming through the land, Ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh!"
- Betty Boop: "When your path at midnight dark by a graveyard goes, And someone whistles, Whoooooo! That's Mysterious Mose!"
- Betty Boop: "He sees all, he knows all, he's just been everywhere, Some night, he might wait for you upon the stair!"
- Bimbo: "Everybody's talking of me everywhere you go, Ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh!"
- Bimbo: "Who I am or what I am nobody seems to know, Ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh!"
- Bimbo: "In the mountains, at the seashore, anywhere at all, Anytime of day or night you'll have to hear me call."
Cast & Crew
- Little Ann Little as Betty Boop
- Billy Murray as Bimbo
- Max Fleischer (Producer)
- Dave Fleischer (Director)
- Grim Natwick (Animator)
- Was released on the 26th of December in 1930.
- Unlike her appearance in Dizzy Dishes, Betty is shown to have tanned skin in both The Bum Bandit and Mysterious Mose.
- Betty's voice is provided by Little Ann Little, who was signed up to do the voice after the premiere of Dizzy Dishes.
- The song was first performed by Walter Doyle and his Orchestra.
- There are numerous recordings of the song, including Cliff Perrine and his Orchestra and R. Crumb & His Cheap Suit Serenaders.
- The song "Mysterious Mose" was written by Walter Doyle and recorded for Columbia in April 1930 by Rube Bloom and His Bayou Boys.
- The episode was given a shout out in the animation Over the Garden Wall, where a Betty Boop-like innkeeper performs a song enitled "The Beast Song", which is similar to the song featured in Mysterious Mose; the "Ooh's" sung by the innkeeper during her song are similar to Betty's interpretation of "Mysterious Mose".